1. Cut 10 to 12 apples into slices, I used various types of apples, that Mr. P and I had picked. (you leave the peel on, just remove the seeds, and any part of the hard core.
2. Place in a crock pot on low for a day, I did about 26 hours.
3. You also need to add in 1 cup of apple cider, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. of nutmeg, 1/2 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice, and 1 cinnamon stick.
Initially it looked like this. The apples are a little brown, as they were sitting for a couple of hours not on; the outlet was out, and I did not realize. (This actually has not happened before with an outlet being out)
After about 5 hours:
They are really starting to sweat, and break down. Every time I go into the kitchen, i just give the pot a good stir. I did this about 4 times total.
4. I cooked the apple mixture for about 15 hours with the lid on, and than tilted the lid, for the remaining time.
5. Once it is done cooking, it will look like this:
6. Take out the cinnamon stick, and than use your immersion blender to mix up apple butter.
7. Place the jars, lids, and bands in your dishwasher.
8. While the jars are getting clean and sterilized in your dishwasher, put a large pot of water on the stove.
9. Fill the jars up, and make sure you wipe off any spillage on the rim and sides, place the seal on the jar, and tightly place the band around the jar.
10. Place in the boiling pot for 15 minutes to seal.
11. After 15 minutes, remove the jars carefully from the boiling water, and place on a towel and wait for the seals to pop.
Now you are all done, try to find some unique recipes in which to use for the apple butter.
I only got three jars from the crock pot recipe.
The first time I made the butter, I used this recipe exactly:
I have decided to slightly adapt this time, as I had various types of apples, and wanted to try pumpkin pie spice !! ENJOY!!!!